Burundi: 14 armed men from DRC killed, security force say

article-img

Security forces in Burundi say they have killed at least 14 armed men from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Police deputy spokesman Moise Nkurunziza said the men were planning an attack in the northwestern province of Bubanza. Speaking state broadcaster RTNB, he said the men crossed from neighbouring DRC on Tuesday and were killed by security forces in Musigati district.

DRC gunmen killed in Burundi

Burundi’s security ministry tweeted on Tuesday to announce the “dismantlement of a group of armed criminals from the DRC. “Fourteen criminals were killed and 11 guns they were carrying seized,” it said.

The ministry hasn’t confirmed whether any police officers were killed while dealing with the armed group, but local sources suggest several died.

The group was believed to be planning an attack in Bubanza and the security ministry compared their intentions with last year’s attack in Ruhagarika that killed at least 26 people in the build-up to a referendum that paved the way for President Pierre Knurunziza to extend his stay in power until 2034.

The United Nations has warned Burundi is at a heightened risk of security issues ahead of next year’s presidential election.

Featured image: Google Maps

About Aaron Brooks

Aaron Brooks is a UK journalist who wants to cut out the international agendas in news. Spending his early years in both England and Northern Ireland he saw the difference between reality and media coverage at an early age. After graduating from the University of Chester with a BA in journalism, his travels revealed just how large the gap between news and the real world can be. As Editor-in-Chief at East Africa Monitor, it’s his job to provide a balanced view of what’s going on in the region for English-speaking audiences.