EU ambassador labels claims of meddling in Burundi politics ‘fake news’
European Union (EU) Ambassador Kristian Schmidt has denied claims from Burundi that the EU is attempting to destabilise the country’s political environment.
Speaking on Twitter, the Head of Delegation to Uganda labelled the accusations as “fake news”, designed to distract from the real political issues taking place in the troubled African nation.
Schmidt’s Tweet comes in response to fresh accusations from inside Burundi that the EU attempted to destabilise the country in 2014 and 2015. The Burundi government claims to have found documents that reveal “terrible facts” regarding the European bloc’s involvement in efforts to overthrow President Pierre Nkurunziza in 2015.
— Kristian Schmidt (@EUAmbSchmidt) June 7, 2017
Burundi accused the EU back in October last year, claiming the EU had “lost all credibility” for meddling in Burundi politics:
— Amb. Willy Nyamitwe (@willynyamitwe) October 5, 2016
“The EU has lost all credibility for having been behind the destabilisation of Burundi,” the Tweet from presidential advisor Willy Nyamitwe said.
Burundi claims to have proof
Now Burundi claims to have documents that prove the EU was involved in attempts to overthrow President Nkurunziza in 2015. Government Spokesman Philippe Nzobonariba says these documents reveal that the EU “financed people and organisations” responsible for an attempted coup that kickstarted Burundi’s ongoing security crisis.
“The uncovered document now confirms that some actors like the EU have encouraged the move of operating the change of the regime in Burundi,” the spokesman said in a statement.
Featured image: Public domain.