Kenya: 12 Killed in Al-Shabaab Hotel Bombing
At least twelve people were killed on Tuesday in a bomb attack carried out in a hotel in northern Kenya.
Somali militant group Al-Shabaab, which has staged various attacks against Kenyan civilians in recent years, is claiming responsibility. While many Kenyans are accusing the government of not doing enough to protect them against the extremist group.
Al-Shabaab targets Kenya again
Al-Shabaab fighter quickly took responsibility for Tuesday’s attack with one fighter bragging online that all of its members “came back to their positions safely after the operation.”
The attack took place at 3.30 am in Mandera, a small town at the northeastern tip of Kenya’s border with Somalia. It’s a regular target for Al-Shabaab fighters. Earlier this month the group killed six people during an attack on a small village. Less than two years ago, the militant groups killed dozens of miners in the same area – shooting the Christian workers only.
On Tuesday, a bomb was detonated while most guests at the hotel were sleeping. Recent attacks by the militant group have been much smaller than previous years, but this new tactic has allowed it to regain a more powerful presence in Somalia. It’s a similar approach to the one adopted by ISIS, where spreading fear of attacks appears to be the main objective.
Kenyans accuse the government
A number of Kenyans are accusing the government of failing to protect them from the constant threat of Al-Shabaab. Security forces were criticised for arriving late at the scene of the attack and the are even claims the government had prior intelligence on this month’s earlier attack.
However, the governor of Mandera, Ali Robo, said the local people need to face up to the situation.
The population of Mandera needs to wake up from slumber and realize attacks are aimed at economic isolation,” he told Citizen TV.
Featured image: YouTube