South Sudan ready to accept UN regional peacekeeping force
South Sudan’s government says it is ready to accept a 4,000-troop regional peacekeeping force, as part of the United Nation’s efforts in the world’s youngest nation.
After rejecting the initial resolution proposed by the UN, the South Sudanese government says there “is no problem anymore” with a revised version of the draft. The additional troops are expected to be deployed by the end of July.
Additional troops in South Sudan
“On our side as the government, there is no problem anymore. We have done our verification and have cleared the deployment of the regional protection. Already fourteen top commanders of the regional protection force have been in the country since March as part of the deployment process,” said cabinet affairs minister, Martin Elia Lomuro, on Thursday.
He also confirmed that land has been allocated by the Jubek state government for a new base to be established for the additional troops. There’s no official timeline in place for the deployment but Sudan Tribune reports that the government expects all 4,000 of the additional troops to be posted by the end of the month.
In August last year, South Sudan openly rejected the UN’s proposal to send 4,00 additional peacekeeper troops into the country. Following an uptake in violence surrounding the capital of Juba, the Security Council recommended the expansion of its existing peacekeeping efforts, which already involves 13,000 troops participating in the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
Government spokesman, Michael Makuei, said the initial resolution would give the UN power to effectively govern South Sudan.
“If South Sudan is turned into a UN protectorate, then this is not the end of the game but the beginning,” he said. “It will begin with South Sudan, but it will end up with all of us being turned into new colonies.”
Featured image: By Al Jazeera English – Kiir awaits, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17499385