Sudan: At least 35 killed as security forces crackdown on protesters
Protesters in Sudan say at least 35 people have been killed after security forces stormed their main camp in the capital, Khartoum.
A doctors’ committee also says hundreds of people have been wounded in the worst case of violence since former president Omar al-Bashir was ousted by the military on April 11. The United Nations has condemned the violence as protest leaders in Sudan call upon the public to join them in mass protests across the country.
At least 35 killed in crackdown
Reports emerged early on Monday that security forces has opened fire upon protesters at a sit-in outside of the army’s headquarters, killing at least 13 people. Witnesses said the demonstration had been cleared but now protests groups and a doctors’ committee say at least 35 people have been killed in the bloody crackdown.
Most of those killed and injured have been hit by gunfire, the doctors’ committee said earlier. The committee also said security forces opened fire inside Khartoum’s East Nile Hospital, chasing out peaceful protesters.
The African Union has called upon Sudan’s Transitional Military Council (TMC) and protesters to urgently resume negotiations over a power-sharing deal and various members of the international community have also condemned the violence.
Featured image: By M.Saleh – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=77879589