UN calls for an end to clashes at Rwanda refugee camp
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is calling for Rwandan authorities and Congolese refugees at the Kiziba refugee camp to put an end to clashes that resulted in the death of one refugee last week.
A previous clash at the camp on February 22 led to more than 10 refugee deaths and many others were injured, including members of the police. The UN is calling on refuges to voice their grievances through dialogue and for Rwandan authorities to show restraint in dealing with concerns.
UN calls for a peaceful resolution
The February 22 clash came after rations were cut at Kiziba camp and a group of refugees protested against the move. Details over the clash remain unclear with refugees claiming live bullets were fired against them – a claim Rwanda authorities have denied.
The Rwandan National Police has beefed up its presence as tensions increase and a 12-year-old boy was injured during a clash with police on April 29.
Some refugees say they want to return to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), claiming they face more danger at the Kiziba camp than their own country. However, the UN says it is waiting to make a decision until it can gather more concrete facts about the events taking place at the camp.
“UNHCR is urging them to make a properly informed decision and not one based on misinformation or rumours,” the UN Refugee Agency said in a statement.
Featured image: By Jean Claude Uwihoreye – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=64002124